Leeds Liverpool Bicentenary Twilight for Teachers (Mersey Motor Boat Club) 1st February 2016
To inform all MADCOS teachers about events/resources and competitions related to the Leeds Liverpool Bicentenary in partnership with Maghull Town Council & the Canal & Rivers Trust.
- CRT to provide FREE WATER SAFETY ASSEMBLIES (commencing in March)
- CRT to provide FREE IN-SCHOOL WORKSHOPS: looking at the history of the canal, flora & fauns etc
- CRT working with the Desmond Family Trust to publicise the ‘Coast-to-Coast’ canoe trail FREE Y5/6 PADDLING SESSIONS AT BURSCOUGH WHARF: 16-20th May and/or SESSIONS AT BOOTLE WHARF: 13-17th June
- MADCOS, in conjunction with the CRT, arranging FREE CLASS VISITS w/c 6th June to Mersey Motor Boat Club: workshops on board ‘George’ (short canal boat); trips on the canal onboard ‘The Pride of Sefton’; hands-on sessions learning about how the canal was built; exhibition of photos; displays of artwork from local artists; gallery of children’s Art & Creative Writing competition winners , workshops & more!
- Info about ‘EVERY MILE COUNTS’ project
Other ideas to be discussed:
- PROPOSAL FOR MOSAICS to be designed by local schools and displayed on road bridges over the canal at Westways & Melling.
- INTERPRETATION BOARDS: Primaries working with EHU & High school students to complete research by July – boards to be in place for 20th October when the short boat ‘KENNET’ recreates the inaugural trip from Leeds to Liverpool
CROSBY LiBRARY – looking into providing land use maps to look at changes created by the effect of the building of the canal on the local area.
CRT website has resources for teachers specifically linked to the LL200.
IF YOU COULD NOT ATTEND BUT WANT TO BE INVOLVED – PLEASE E MAIL AMANDA BENNETT @ email@example.com FOR MORE INFORMATION
There are activities & resources for KS1 & 2 as well as opportunities for High Schools to be involved too!